Updating an older home can make you feel excited and overwhelmed at the same time. Though your home may not be a clean slate, it has so much potential, and it may offer you the opportunity to make your space uniquely yours. Of course, you can always start a major renovation project, but transforming a horribly out-of-date home into a more modern home in Wheeling, IL doesn’t have to be expensive or even especially labor intensive.
Here are five relatively simple things you can do to give your old, outdated home a modern facelift:
- Refresh walls and floors: An easy way to update an older home is to refresh the flooring, walls and countertops. For the walls, get rid of that dated wallpaper and replace it with either modern-day wallpaper or a fresh coat of paint. Faded paint makes a room appear sad, but it’s nothing a new coat can’t fix. Consider an accent wall to add a pop of color to plain-looking rooms. When it comes to flooring, tear out that old shag carpet and put in a beautiful hard flooring option.
- Install new countertops: Replacing old, outdated countertops in your kitchen is a quick way to bring new life to the space. No matter if you choose laminate, granite, wood, concrete or engineered stone, high-quality countertop materials are more affordable today than ever before. If you decide to replace the counters, think about completely replacing the cabinets, too—especially if they are old and will need to be replaced in a few years anyway.
- Choose a flowing color scheme: One of the simplest, most affordable and most highly recommended home update tips from professionals is to create a consistent color scheme and flowing layout. Choose a color palette that accents your interior décor and carries the same colors throughout the entire house. This will create a sense of consistency and balance, and can even change the mood in each room.
- Replace old appliances and fixtures: Large household appliances like refrigerators, dishwashers, stoves, washers, dryers and standalone freezers do not come cheap. Due to cost, many homeowners wait until an appliance is on its last leg before replacing it. However, sleek new appliances can immediately improve the look of your home. As for hardware and fixtures, many older homes have seriously outdated gold or tarnished brass handles, hinges, doorknobs, etc. Updating them is a super easy project. Plan a DIY weekend to replace old hardware to give your home a fresh look and style.
- Plan a remodel: You can begin planning a small or big home remodel project anytime and start it when you’re mentally and financially ready. The most popular remodel projects that can update an older home include modernizing bathrooms and kitchens, room additions, basement transformations and more.
These suggestions are great for homeowners looking to update just a little bit until they are ready to move forward with a major remodeling project—you will have a more modern Wheeling, IL home before you know it! Contact Arch Pro LLC today to talk to an expert about your future home changes.
Categorised in: Uncategorized